CPS Certification and Renewal Courses are classified as either public or controlled.
Public courses are available to anyone on a first come, first serve basis. Seats cannot be held or reserved. The only way to guarantee a seat in the course is to pay the registration fee. As soon as the fee is processed, the student’s name will appear on the class roster.
Controlled courses are open only to individuals approved by the lead instructor or course administrator. Everyone is allowed to request a seat in a controlled class, but they may not register until their request has been approved. Students requesting seats in a controlled course will receive an e-mail letting them know whether or not they were approved to register. If approved, students will complete their registration by paying the course fees. Students’ names appear on the course roster as soon as payments are received and processed. For additional information on processing registration requests, scroll further down this page.
Controlled courses allow course administrators to reserve some seats in a public class and to more easily manage local fees. For example:
- A lead instructor will conduct a controlled course with a total of 15 open seats. Ten of the seats are reserved for students from the local police department, but the other five will be open to the public. This will allow anyone from the public to request a seat, but the course administrator has the power to approve only five of the reservation requests from community members and leave the other ten seats open for the police department. If the police department later decides to send only eight people, two more seats may be opened up to the public.
- The course administrator determines that there is a need to charge a local fee of $100 for a course. A controlled course allows the course administrator to require payment of the $100 before the student is approved to participate. The student will then complete the registration by submitting the $85 national program fee to Safe Kids.
Although the course administrator may approve or deny a registration request, only the lead instructor receives e-mails from students requesting to register for a course. Therefore it is critical that the lead instructor and course administrator log in and check for registration requests regularly. The e-mail is not required to review requests.
To review registration requests, the lead instructor or course administrator will log in to Online Services and:
- Choose “Manage My Courses” from the action items list in your profile.
- Select the course you'd like to view.
- From the course details page, choose “View Registration Requests” from the action items list.
- Review the requests and click SUBMIT.
Students requesting seats in a controlled course will receive an e-mail letting them know whether or not they were approved to register. If approved, students will complete their registrations by paying the course fees. Students’ names appear on the course roster as soon as payments are received and processed.
The instructor has the ability to cancel a reservation as long as the individual has not already completed the registration process by paying the fee.
Due to the nature of substitution, if currently registered student chooses to transfer their registration to another person, instructor approval for the original reservation and subsequent registration will also be transferred.
Once a reservation request is denied or cancelled, it cannot be re-approved. However, approved reservations that have timed out (reservations are only held for 10 days), can be re-approved, giving the registrants another 10 days to submit payments.
For more information: Please refer to our Policies & Procedures Manual, and look under Course Administration