You are here
- My certification expiration date is 4 months away and I already recertified. Can I earn CEUs now for my new certification cycle?
- Can a workshop I attended last year count?
- What if I go to a retailer with another tech and look at the new seats? Can I earn CEUs?
- What are some examples of acceptable and unacceptable CPS CEU content?
- Can I watch a video (recorded webinar) for CEUs?
- Can I get credit for watching a webinar with a group?
- Can I watch a webinar on my smartphone?
- With the 2017 version of the LATCH manual out, can I submit each version (2015 and 2017) for one CEU each (2 total) in a single recertification cycle?
- Can I work on my seat checks and get CEUs?
- Who do I contact if I lost my proof of CEU completion?
Are you thinking about recertifying but have a very hectic schedule? Don't worry, as a Technician or Instructor, you can recertify up to 4 months prior to your certification expiration date. Knowing that your work schedule is ever changing, this option provides flexibility as to when you complete the recertification process. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Recertify early and cross off one item from your To Do list.
The CEUs you earn can only be applied if to they occur within your current certification cycle. If you recertify early, the month and day of your certification cycle will not change.
For example, your certification ends on 12/01/14 and you decide to recertify early on 10/01/14. Your new cert cycle will be 12/02/14 – 12/01/16. Any CEUs earned between 10/01/14 and 12/01/14 will not count towards your new 2014 - 2016 cycle and you will not be able to enter them into your CPS online profile.
The educational sessions must be within your current certification cycle and meet approved content areas. If your certification cycle is 7/1/2012 – 6/30/2014 and the session was in September 2012, it would qualify for credit under category #1. A session taken in June of 2012 would not qualify.
To qualify for credit under category #1, educational sessions must be researched, prepared and organized. Although it is practical and prudent for a technician to periodically review the selection of seats at a local retailer, this activity would not count towards CEUs.
If, however, the activity was structured as a class that met category #1 requirements, such as including an agenda, sign in roster, etc., then it could qualify for CEUs.
The National Child Passenger Safety Board has a CEU Toolkit with tips, resources and samples to help you organize an in-store update.
There are many updates that are beneficial to you as a tech that do not meet the CEU criteria "CPS Technical Content". You only need 6 CEUs in a 2-year certification cycle so please do go and learn, even if you don't earn CPS CEUs!
Examples of content that would qualify:
- CR manufacturer workshops/product updates
- CPS panel at a conference
- Vehicle manufacturer workshops specific to occupant protection
- The latest LATCH technology
- Case studies of child occupants in crashes
- Car seats and school bus safety
Examples of content that would NOT quality:
These may be very interesting and relevant but do not meet the content requirements for CEUs. Please continue to offer and attend these types of sessions.
- How to run an inspection station
- Cultivation and retention of CPS Technicians
- Children in and around cars (backovers, hyperthermia/heatstroke)
- Working with legislators to pass a booster bill
- Using data to dissect the CPS problem
- Impaired driving victim impact panel
- Older drivers
- How to use the national CPS certification online system
- Setting up a CPS program in your hospital
- Fund Raising
- How to write a grant
- Tips on how to be a better instructor
- Data collection methods (how to)
- Operation Kids courses (subsets of certification course)
Although watching a CPS technical video on your own would not qualify for CEUs, you could organize an update where you and fellow techs meet to watch and then discuss the video. This would be considered category 1 (in-person session). It might just be you and the technicians you work with, but with an agenda, sign in sheet, and proof of attendance, it will be organized and meet the requirements.
It could also be submitted for pre-approval for CEUs. As with all CPS CEUs, the content must be CPS technical, such as LATCH or special needs transportation options, rather than programmatic.
CPS Category 4 (Online/Web session) CEU credit is only provided to techs who logged into a live webinar. A moderated Web session requires that participants have an opportunity for asking questions.
If you have a group that will be watching together, and everyone would like to earn CPS CEUs, it may be organized for a Category #1 In-person session. The person organizing would follow all the usual protocols like a sign in sheet and provide proof of attendance. Participants could watch the webinar together and then discuss it. They would also, of course, be able to submit the update for preapproval if they liked.
The simple preapproval application may be found online. Click on "CPS CEU Preapproval Request Form".
To use your smart phone to fully participate in the webinar, you will need to download the GoToWebinar app which is free and available for Android and IPhones. Being away from your computer doesn’t mean you have to miss out on online events. The free GoToWebinar mobile app lets you not only see and hear webinars, but take part in them as well. No matter where you are, you can ask questions, take part in polls and more.
Be aware that if you don’t use the app and just click on the emailed link, you will not get the visual and not get credit for attending.
- How to download the app and attend a webinar from your ANDROID phone.
- How to download the app and attend a webinar from your iPHONE phone.
You may only count only one Safe Ride News LATCH Manual quiz (either edition) toward the required 6 CEUs per certification cycle. In general, enter the quiz for either the current or immediate past LATCH Manual edition to earn one CEU toward recertification. If you include the 2015 quiz for a certification cycle, you are welcome to count the 2017 quiz toward your next certification cycle.
If you are working on your seat checks/sign offs at an event or as part of an update, you cannot also get credit for CEUs. If you need CEUs, the time must be used for practice only. No double dipping!
If your CEU’s are audited, you will have to provide proof of completion/attendance. If you lose your proof of attendance, contact the event/update/webinar provider. If they are not able to provide proof of completion, you may work with the Quality Assurance Specialist to make up the CEUs. She will provide suggestions and guidance in order to help you complete the audit process.
NOTE: Safe Kids does not maintain a database of attendees for non-Safe Kids Worldwide updates.