When all your recertification requirements are completed and you are within four months of your certification expiration date you may pay the fee and recertify.
The certification cycle for both technicians and instructors is two years. In order to retain your certification, you must meet all of the requirements for, and successfully complete, the recertification process.
There are two general steps to successful recertification:
- Enter all pre-registration requirements, including:
- Verified seat check activity (5 types)
- Community event (one check up or community workshop)
- Continuing education (6 hours)
- If CPSTI, teaching hours (20)
- Register and pay for recertification (this may be done up to four months prior to your certification cycle end date)
The recertification fee is $50 for technicians and instructor candidates and $60 for instructors. If you are randomly selected to be audited for your CEUs and do not pass, a refund will not be provided. A detailed fee table is available in Resources then Fees.
Once you have met all of the pre-registration requirements and it is within four months of your current certification expiration date, a button will appear on your recertification activities summary page. Click this button to begin the recertification process.
Pay attention!! Be sure to click on the button on the Recertification Summary page. DO NOT click on the "Apply for Instructor Candidacy" or the "Apply to be a Technician Proxy" action items. Read each page for alerts and warnings.
- If you pay the IC fee by mistake, contact Safe Kids ASAP. We will correct your profile and refund $65, which includes a $10 processing fee.
- If you pay the Tech Proxy fee by mistake, contact Safe Kids ASAP. We will correct your profile and refund $5, which includes a $10 processing fee.
You have the option to either continue, and pay online with a credit/debit/check card, purchase order or e-voucher, or print out a registration form to complete and submit with a check, purchase order or money order. The mailing address, fax number and phone number for submitting registrations can be found on the registration form.
Registration must be completed (either online or received by Safe Kids) no later than your certification expiration date.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, click on the Policies & Procedures button on the right. Look under Recertification.